Skip to main content

Tumey's List

by Paul Christley Tumey

Tonight, home from the gleaming
new shopping center, I am thinking of the poem
the one I didn't write
about that stand of trees
It would have been a lot better
than this, less artifice,
truer to a tree than to a tree missed
I would have said (I remember
walking home to your brown arms
late one night through them) the tall pinetops
were green chandeliers
The woods the most
haunted of mansions
where every night
the wind bands played to thousands of dancing
branches
I would have said
we were all millionaires

The trees are gone now
The few acres I would shortcut
to work through to be in the woods
before I was in the weeds
They saved me but I could not save them
I swear I saw hobbits
and leprechauns in the gathering dusk
And once I made love to you
in the moonlight your back against
the strong thighs of a magnolia
They saved me

The town started ten blocks away
a hundred years ago, so
it's a confound progress did not commence sooner
I think the stand was an asset
in the erect tent portfolio of a banker tacit
He must have sold it for money
I cannot see anything else to be gained

In the early days of the construction
the magnificent old trees
there through the wars, the yellow fever, the fires, more wars, they
fell to obscene destruction
it took so little time
cars prowling like guards
on the border roads struck the fleeing victims, the ones
who squeezed under wire fences
and ran for their lives
Here's Tumey's List:
a brown field rabbit
the dream of a boy sleeping
in the arms of mother and father,
a box
turtle, a turquiose
lizard, a packet
of love letters and a pregnant
opossum, some rats
and a part of me

I saw them all go
as the forest floor melted with no hesitation
into concrete lit with a halogen glow
and rooted family split into visitations

I wish I would have written beauty
instead of this sad commencement of grace
I miss walking through you,
the shadows and light of my heart's trace

This poem is too much like our new shopping center
Tonight I browsed in FROZEN FOODS
where once the sap-ended pine needles made a bed
for this lazy fool to dream
The squirrels would have loved
aisle seven, SNACKS AND NUTS
I think I see the stream running
through FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
It's beautiful, you would have laughed --

People don't understand

They are buying dinner and maybe lunch
and perhaps cookies for the kids
and the man weeping in CLEANING PRODUCTS
is a weirdo what is he doing? looks like
he's stretching to pick swaying summer wildflowers
that are out of reach

-1987/2010 - Tallahassee/Seattle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Book on Screwball Comics Coming September 2018

My first book, Screwball! The Cartoonists Who Made the Funnies Funny is scheduled for publication in September 2018. The publisher will be The Library of American Comics/IDW. Eisner-Award winner Dean Mullany will design and edit the book, with Bruce Canwell and Lorraine Turner providing their expertise, as well. It will be a large, full-color hardcover art book offering around 275 pages resplendent with rare comics, art, photos and original research. The story of screwball comics in America is a large topic, more sprawling than one book can reasonably encompass if one wishes to present satisfying chunks of reprints. Foo this reason, I decided, after much deliberation, to narrow the focus of this book on American newspaper comics up to about 1950. This means the screwballists who primarily worked in comic books -- Jack Cole, Dick Briefer, Basil Wolverton, Harvey Kurtzman, Will Elder, Al Jaffee -- are saved for, hopefully, another volume. Even with this limitation, it was neces

The Kitchen Notepad Cartoons of 2013

I sing now to you a tale of a family and their doodle-toons. A grubby, stained, mostly used small pad of paper sat by the phone in the kitchen. One day, I drew and colored a cartoon on it, like so: If it looks like the man has his hand in his fly, that's my ineptitude at drawing hands, and is unintentional. Anyway, I found I liked the pad. So I drew a few more cartoons. The little green figures you see in the lower right-hand corner are the vestiges of when the pad was first used by me to make a rudimentary animation flipbook. The next time I picked the kitchen notepad up, I saw that my wife, the artist Claire Mack had added a fantastical drawing: I followed suit with a Groucho mushroom, of course: Claire added a celestial scene: One day, our teen-age daughter, Olivia, added some of her own cartoons: To which, I responded with this very strange fellow, Lemon-Head: The final three pages in the pad are by Claire,

24 Hour Comic from 1989 – The World Seen Through Mr. Foster’s Glasses by Paul Tumey